Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Setting up Pylot

I was in need of a Load Test Tool, now that I have Fitnesse up and running in my environment, I wanted to be able to check and see how our environment was going to behave under a significant amount of Users. Significant at this point is more than 5, so in looking around I came back to Pylot, not that I needed another language installed on my machine but I liked the simplicity and the ease by which within a day I was up and running with tests that were already confirming to me that the pages I knew were slow, are indeed slow.

Check the Getting Started Guide on how to get it up and running. But there is one thing missing, if you want to run the Script Agent you will need the Python Win 32 Extensions in addition to the normal set up.

When running the Script Agent and running back the XML script I did get a couple of errors about:
ERROR: can not parse testcase file: not well-formed (invalid token): line #, column #
It took a bit to work through this but basically what happened, in my case, was that the recording took in a NULL value somewhere in the CDATA line on the login and logout of my site, removing those allowed my script to run without a problem.

Once you get used to the XML format its easy to parameterize the testcases, and adding in new test steps for text validation and new pages, while the URL's are not the best mechanism in my site to use they do allow me to do a check against bookmarks on the site rather than clicking on the page elements.

I'm liking this tool a lot.

No comments: