Friday, October 9, 2009

Books On My Shelf

Over the years I have collected quite a few books, not always on testing as I used to be able to get enough online and through discussions with people to keep up. Occasionally I still bought the book that to me, was useful, or was a necessary part of the books I wanted to always take with me from Job to Job. So here is the list of what I have (your mileage may vary):

Testing Books (some of these come into the office with me, especially Lessons Learned In Software Testing, which I have pulled out from time to time to get a point across to Dev Managers), this is not in any special order:
  • Quality Software Management - Volume 1: Systems Thinking, Weinberg
  • The Complete Guide To Software Testing, Hetzel
  • Effective Software Testing, Dustin
  • How To Break Software, Whittaker
  • Lessons Learned In Software Testing, Kaner & Bach & Petticord
  • Managing The Testing Process, Black
  • Customer Orientated Software Quality Assurance, Ginac
  • Software Testing In The Real World, Kit
  • Change-Based Test Management, Sistowicz & Arell
  • How We Test Software At Microsoft, Page, Johnston, Rollison
  • Writing Solid Code, Maguire
  • Debugging The Development Process, Maguire
  • How To Break Software Security, Whittaker, Thompson
  • Implementing Automated Software Testing, Dustin, Garrett, Gauf
Technology Books (I use Perl ALOT as you can see), since I am mostly self taught these are all the things I have needed for my job in past...most of this is O'Reilly, a geeks best friend.

  • Learning Perl On Win32 Systems, Programming Perl, Advanced Perl Programming, Perl Best Practices, Perl CD Bookshelf, Mastering Regular Expressions, Perl Cookbook
  • Debugging Perl
  • Learning Bash Shell
  • Sed & Awk
  • JavaScript
  • CGI Programming
  • SQL In A Nutshell
  • Unix Shell Programming
  • Unix In A Nutshell
  • Python Visual Quickstart Guide
  • Python Programming For Beginners
  • Python Essential Reference
  • Unit Test Frameworks
  • Teach Yourself Java
  • Java Development With Ant
  • Open Source Programming with CVS
  • Unit Test Framework, O'Reilly
  • Pragmatic Unit Testing, Hunt, Thomas
  • Practical Performance Analyst, Gunther
  • Aptana RadRails, Ramirez
  • Test Driven .NET Development with Fitnesse, Adzic
  • Fit For Developing Software, Mugridge, Cunningham
  • Head First C#
  • Windows PowerShell In Action
I've been asked if I really had to choose my top 3 I'd say:
  1. Hetzels book The Complete Guide (as it was my first)
  2. Maguire's Debugging The Development Process
  3. Lessons Learned (which I actually bring into my office a lot)
Others I received about the same time I originally made this post are:
Web testing handbook - Splaine and Jaskiel
Software testing - Ron Patton
Systematic software testing - Craig and Jaskiel
Software testing techniques - Boris Beizer
Black box testing - Boris Beizer
Test process improvement - Koomen & Pohl
The testing practitioner - Erik van Veenandaal
The Art of Software Testing – Glenford Myers (yes, I know it is old, but still good) 

No comments: