Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fitnesse Parameterization

In order to adjust for the multiple environments that the Fitnesse tests will be running in, within my environment later on, I have spent the time to parameterize the framework now and just added in some Symbolic Links. The Symbolic Links is a wonderful feature for Fitnesse, as it allows a wiki page to be called from another, so I can set up one page with a test, or a set of tests, and have it called from another. The true power in this comes from being able to set up multiple high level pages with specific environment information, so one set of tests can be run on Server A if its called from the Server A Test Page which has a Symbolic Link to Server Tests, I can also call the same tests from the Server B Test Page, which has different test settings, and reuse Server Tests within it. Simple, yet powerful.

It did take a little bit of playing around to get the set up working, so here is what I found out.
  • Create the page that will contain the Symbolic Link
  • Go to Properties and set the Suite property on the page and save it, as this page is calling another Suite is needed so the Page will go down the Hierarchy
  • Find the path that will be in the Symbolic Link
  • Go to Properties and set the Name for the Link then the path to the Page, click on Create/Replace
  • Save the settings and edit the page with whatever is needed, the Symbolic Link if used once is automatically called
I don't know what will happen with the need for multiple calls, I have seen examples where instead of looping a page was set up as follows:
[Username1]
[Password1]
[Symbolic Link]
[Username2]
[Password2]
[Symbolic Link]
This should allow testing each Username and Password on that Linked Test Page, I have not tried this yet, have not had a need to, but it should be workable as I believe Fitnesse will take the settings it comes to last.

There is probably more to get out of Fitnesse that I haven't discovered yet, I can't wait to see what I find next.

No comments: