Monday, January 4, 2010

SharePoint and Fitnesse - a match made somewhere...

Now that my current web redesign project is going to be based on SharePoint 2010, yes its in Beta and we know this but we are still going forward with this anyway...not my decision but it should be interesting, I have migrated some of the old Fitnesse scripts I had to the new platform. In addition, I have upgraded from using the Fitnium add-on to FitLibrary and the SpiderFixture since it gives better Internet Explorer integration than Fitnium did, while FireFox will still be tested it won't be the focus that it was in the past.

So far I have encountered some issues with the way Fitnesse sees the pages, since SharePoint's web parts can act like Ajax some adjustments need to be made, also SharePoint masks some of the standard ID's of the base pages with its own ID scheme. Some of those ID's are not only odd, but sometimes they are very long, in addition SharePoint's ability to be made of many dynamic pieces makes validating some pages very tedious.

In the past I did make Fitnesse a service on my machine, that way I always had it up and running, however, in recent releases I have had trouble with the connections from the browser to the site under test. Today I noticed something odd, when I was running a new install on the command line everything worked, running the same script on the Fitnesse server that ran as a service there would be failures. On the command line the browser would open a new instance and run its tests, on the service version nothing would show up. So I did a check and sure enough I did a nice default, when I set up the service I set it to run as Local System, but when I run command line I run as myself. Changing the Log On to myself, and granting myself access rights, I can now get the same scripts to pass on the new install.

I'm now running FitLibrary 20091021 release with Fitnesse 20100103, so far basic stuff looks fine and good, I just hope I can keep this running.

No comments: