Wednesday, January 6, 2010

More SharePoint News!

I am doing some of the Microsoft Hand On Labs (HOL's) for SharePoint 2010, normally I would post a link to these but they are so amazingly buggy with typos and code that doesn't compile (or write without errors appearing) that I would rather let anyone really wanting them to seek them out. I downloaded them from Microsoft somewhere, they are from early 2009 and it looks like someone wrote them up quick and then somehow got them on the Microsoft site; I can't get past two pages without a typo and I hate that. The code has errors, I know enough to fix some of the warnings that show up in Visual Studio 2010 when I write out the C# examples, so I would not push this on anyone.

Still, because of this I have had to go out and research errors now and again, what I have found are a couple of interesting posts on sites:
So far I am having middling luck in scripting many of the Web Parts I have been able to compile with Fitnesse, I have also found that I right now need to deploy and add Web Parts on the same environment. I cannot deploy through Visual Studio 2010 on one machine then add that Web Part on another machine, I kept getting errors regarding that the object did not exist even though it appeared in the Web Parts list. So, I am running things locally until I know they are on the site and working, then I go to another machine and script with Fitnesse.

Fitnesse also doesn't seem to like the naming conventions that SharePoint gives for certain objects, I am trying to find a solution for that as select lists may have their own ID's and Name's with the SharePoint strings in the future - so I am working that out now.

Enjoy!


Note: I've edited this page to now note the Labs, they are for 2010 and I figure why not share the fun.

No comments: