Monday, September 16, 2013

Reading about Quality

On occasion I read books on Quality that are basically throwbacks, or what I like to think of as historical documents.  Recently I was going through one of Juran's books on Quality to see what I might be able to learn and apply from what Quality Control and Process Design was all about before software.  This was sort of inspired by a recent book I read on Toyota and its evolution of Lean Manufacturing leading up to Kanban and its current practices, I also found out some interesting stuff on Toyota cars and how they are designed.  Considering I drive a Highlander and my wife a Camry it was cool stuff!

So while reading through Juran's book I noticed the following formula:

Quality = (Frequency of deficiencies) / ( Opportunity for deficiencies)

I wondered how I might be able to use this in my own arena.  Dealing with web sites that have hundreds or thousands of visitors a day there is no direct linkage here.  So just toying around with ideas I thought I might be able to use something along the lines of Visitors from our web analytics and determine then some number through contacts to our Support Organization to see if I could get an idea of Opportunity and/or Frequency through these numbers.  I'm no statician at all, so not sure if this will work at all but I would like to try out, as a mental exercise, whether I can get something useful from this and see if I can get an idea of what our Quality is.

Typically I am against just making up metrics, but in some cases I think its fairly good to be able to give a representable number to Business Users if that number CAN be representative and provide a USEFUL idea of what is going on.

No comments: