Friday, August 22, 2008

IO Stress, Part 2!

After the Development team came back from the latest microsoft PlugFest there was a new version of the IOStress tool, which has a better structure than the last one without all the useless command scripts in the root directory.  It seems to run better, and has picked up on configuration I had set for the previous one, as I was able to just put the directory down and run it with fewer errors than I had seen in the last version.  Running with the Verifier and our Driver still causes a crash, but that is expected for the way the Assertions were being used in 2008, supposedly in windows 2003 this was more forgiving, but 2008 doesn't like it.  I've crashed the 2008 box 3 times since installing the new version, go me!

I need to get a listing of the tests, and what they do, but for now I have a nice basic structure that runs on our driver and doesn't crash the box, always a good thing.  The one thing I don't like is the reboots the IOStress program does when setting up certain tests and when completing them - since I run this in a remote desktop window and do other things - the test goes away when I don't notice that the remote desktop is gone.  Part of the problem with the reboot is that the test results window disappears quickly after the reboot, I may have to look at getting the mail piece working so I can get the results in email, they may be formatted better.

Undocumented and unofficial tools are so much fun to work with....right.

No comments: